The integration of BlueBay’s ESG investment policies and practices has been informed by current best practice in the industry. Our approach is to proactively evolve our strategy in conjunction with global developments.
UN-supported Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
We are committed to working with others to promote ESG integration and see our membership of the PRI as an important mechanism for this to be achieved.
Founded in early 2005 by UNEP FI and the UN Global Compact, the PRI is a set of voluntary and aspirational principles giving a framework for the integration of ESG issues into mainstream investment decision making and ownership practices.
BlueBay has been a signatory of PRI since July 2013. Visit the PRI.
To date, our participation in PRI led investor collaborative initiatives and publications on ESG and fixed income include:
- ESG Bondholder Engagement working group member (2016-present) involved in identifying good practice issuer ESG engagement efforts
- Advisory Committee on Credit Ratings (ACCR) working group Chair/member (2016-present) which continues the work of the previous committee in terms of promoting investor and CRA efforts on ESG credit analysis and ratings
- Cybersecurity collaborative initiative member (2017-present)
- Fixed Income Engagement Sub-Committee (2015-2016), which sought to engage with Credit Rating Agencies (CRAs) and issuers to facilitate ESG integration
- PRI Statement on ESG in Credit Ratings (founding signatory, May 2016)
- PRI engagement guidance on corporate tax responsibility - ‘contributor’ participation level (2015-on-going)
- PRI/UN Global Compact/Allianz Global Investor engagement with stock exchanges on adopting voluntary ESG guidance - letter signatory (2015-on-going)
Visit the document library to access our annual PRI reports.
BlueBay became a CDP investor signatory in December 2016 to show support for increased corporate environmental public disclosure as such information is critical to ensuring informed investment analysis of credit relevant environmental risk factors where this is material for an issuer. As well as the increasing regulation and costs associated with GHG emissions, companies will face growing uncertainty and price volatility as the impacts of climate change and water shortages are felt throughout supply chains.
CDP has gathered the largest global collection of self-reported environmental information by leveraging the power of shareholder and lenders to help increase disclosure from companies. Specifically we have signed up to the following programmes:
- Climate change
- Carbon action
For more information about the organisation and its programmes, visit the CDP.
Other industry involvement
While the PRI is our primary channel for working with the industry, from time to time, where appropriate and necessary to do so we will also collaborate and participate in other ESG-related activities with other stakeholders. We continue to review the potential for formal membership of other ESG organizations outside of the PRI.
RBC Global Asset Management (GAM)
RBC GAM, an investment management firm within the RBC group is also involved in ESG activities:
- A signatory of the PRI since August 2015
- A signatory to the UK Stewardship Code
- A signatory to the CDP, an organisation who works with investors and corporates to promote disclosure of management of environmental matters such as climate change, water and forests
- Collaborated with other investors through CERES's Investor Network on Climate Risk to release a Statement of Investor Expectations that promotes a consistent framework for the green bond market that build on the Green Bond Principles
- A founding member of the Canadian Coalition for Good Governance (CCGG)
- A sustaining member of the Responsible Investment Association, the RI industry trade body in Canada
- Member of the International Corporate Governance Network and Council of Institutional Investors
Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)
Our parent company, RBC is also involved in a number of similar industry groups and initiatives:
- RBC is a member of United Nations Environmental Programme, Finance Initiative
- RBC Capital Markets is a Climate Bonds Partner, an initiative run by the Climate Bonds Initiative to mobilise debt capital markets towards creating climate change solutions
Visit the RBC website for more information about our parent company's approach to Corporate Responsibility and approach to Corporate Responsibility and the RBC GAM website for details on Corporate Responsibility and Responsible Investment.